Health

Doctors Finally See What Made This 'Healthy' 10-Year-Old Boy So Ill

boy

A 10-year-old boy from Bologna, Italy, recently suffered four seizures and had doctors confused about the cause until he told them he had been eating 20 pieces of licorice every day for four months. He had high blood pressure, high levels of cortisol and brain swelling.

Before he told the doctors about his eating habits the boy had an MRI that revealed posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. This brain swelling was unusual for an otherwise healthy child.

Still uncertain of the cause, doctors asked him about his diet after they noticed that his teeth were stained brown.

He described his licorice eating habits over the past few months.

Doctors decided that the symptoms were caused by glycyrrhizic acid, an ingredient found in licorice. According to the journal, the boy was consuming 50 percent more of the acid than the World Health Organization’s recommended quantity.

Glycyrrhizic acid prevents the breakdown of cortisol and increases blood pressure.

The boy stopped eating licorice and two weeks later the brain swelling had subsided.

Licorice packages do not have a strict recommended daily value, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does say that licorice can decrease potassium levels.

The case was published in the Pediatric Neurology journal.

Sources: The Blaze, Newsweek / Photo Source: NBC Washington, WikiCommons

Dad Receives Coded Text Message From Son, Rushes To Help Him

In the middle of the night, West Virginia father Bert Fulks received a text message with only the letter "X" from his teenage son. Immediately, he sprung into action, calling his son to tell him that he will be there in five minutes to pick him up.

Teen Hit With Major Drug Trafficking Charges Let Off; Guess Who Her Dad Is

A woman arrested on drug possession and trafficking charges may be the daughter of a Drug Enforcement Agency office.

Doctors Issue Warning About One Of America's Most Popular Foods; If You Eat It, Stop ASAP

An experiment performed by a doctor in Massachusetts has people questioning whether they will ever eat instant noodles again.

School Claims Braless Senior's Shirt Is See-Through, But She Disagrees; You Decide (Photos)

Students at Helena High School in Montana have backed the right of a female senior student not to wear a bra.

Mother Almost Loses Legs As They Rot From Common Habit Most Women Have

A mother spoke out after almost losing her legs from a deadly infection caused by shaving her groin (WARNING: graphic photos below).