Mother Warns Shoppers After 8-Year-Old Daughter Is Sent To The Hospital

A mother in the U.K. is warning produce shoppers to beware of infected bananas after her 8-year-old daughter was hospitalized on July 13 after consuming red fungus.

The little girl became sick after eating the fruit that was later discovered to be infected with the naturally occurring fungus, Nigrospora, Boston Standard reported.

Reports say the girl bit into one of the bananas her mother, Lissa Melin, had purchased for her family the week before at grocery store Morrisons. Inside, she found a red streak that was later identified to be fungus.

“I just want to issue a warning,” Melin said. “I looked online and it looks like people have got quite ill from it.”

When her daughter Dionne became dizzy and started feeling sick, Lissa went online to try to find the cause of her daughter’s ailments, Western Daily Press reported. From her research, the mother of two was able to identify the fungus as Nigrospora.

“I was panicking and I didn’t know what to do. She had only a couple mouthfuls but I was really worried about her,” Melin said. “She was fine until she had that banana and then all of a sudden she was feeling dizzy and sick.”

After calling Britain's non-emergency medical advice line, Melin took her daughter to the emergency room.

Dionne was tested by medics but discharged later that day, feeling better, Western Daily Press reported.

Nigrospora is not harmful to humans and cannot cause any substantial illness, reports Boston Standard. The fungus can cause ill-feeling, which may be psychosomatic.

Because the fungus exists in the center of the banana, infected bananas cannot be identified before peeling.

The supermarket Morrisons, from which Melin bought the fruit, has since apologized.

“We are sorry for Mrs. Melin’s daughter’s distress,” a Morrisons representative said. “This product did not meet our strict quality standards. However, we would like to assure her that it is a naturally occurring mold which is not harmful to humans.”

Source: Boston Standard, Western Daily Press / Photo credit:Lissa Melin via Boston Standard

Dad Receives Coded Text Message From Son, Rushes To Help Him

In the middle of the night, West Virginia father Bert Fulks received a text message with only the letter "X" from his teenage son. Immediately, he sprung into action, calling his son to tell him that he will be there in five minutes to pick him up.

Teen Hit With Major Drug Trafficking Charges Let Off; Guess Who Her Dad Is

A woman arrested on drug possession and trafficking charges may be the daughter of a Drug Enforcement Agency office.

Doctors Issue Warning About One Of America's Most Popular Foods; If You Eat It, Stop ASAP

An experiment performed by a doctor in Massachusetts has people questioning whether they will ever eat instant noodles again.

School Claims Braless Senior's Shirt Is See-Through, But She Disagrees; You Decide (Photos)

Students at Helena High School in Montana have backed the right of a female senior student not to wear a bra.

Mother Almost Loses Legs As They Rot From Common Habit Most Women Have

A mother spoke out after almost losing her legs from a deadly infection caused by shaving her groin (WARNING: graphic photos below).